Friday, September 7, 2012

Who Do You Trust?

Thought for the Day




Do you ever wonder at the divisiveness that is fueled by politics and religion? What is ironic is both promise us a better life if we adhere to their point of view which is essentially to give everything we have to them and let them make all of the important decisions that influence our lives. That seems an agreement to live as cattle and you know what is done with them. 

I am not a godless man by any stretch of the imagination nor am I opposed to organized leadership, laws and systems of government. What I am opposed to is lies, half truths, forecasts of doom and gloom and pandering by those would be leaders who seem to believe I have forgotten how to listen and evaluate information. I am tired of being spoken to as if I am a part of a mob yet I can feel the movement of the mob when politicians and evangelists speak. Believe it or not there are those around us whose actions are orchestrated not by their thoughtful exercise of free will but promises and platitudes from self serving power seekers. Herdsmen/women who figure my primary value is about the same as a side of beef.

What are you worth? Do you believe what you are hearing? What kind of research have you done? Are you confident enough of your choices that you would lay your child or grandchild or yourself on an alter and trust those you choose to lead with that life? Isn't that what you are doing?

Democracy and religion at their roots are “good news”. Why does it all sound so bad?

Herb Ratliff, September 7, 2012

1 comment:

  1. If a church or a government were to ask me to give them everything I have, or to lay my child on an alter, I would have to say that's asking far too much. Each of those entities has a role but should not consume our lives.

    In an election year, the rhetoric can get too hot to handle, for sure. And sometimes we need to just tune it out. But at some point, we have to be part of the process and cast our vote one way or another, choosing the one we deem to value us the most or with whom we share the most values.

    Your first paragraph is about government and religion, but it also made me think of some marriages from a woman's viewpoint. It's strange to me that some women are willing to accept that kind of subjugation--and interestingly, it is often tied to religious values.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: