Thursday, September 20, 2012

I think of early Fall in Colorado.

Thought for the Day






I have lived in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas and California. This time of year when the weather cools and the old sweaters and jackets come out of the closet I think of early Fall in Colorado.

There is a reason Colorado moves to the front when I think of Fall. It's because of a couple of things. (Before I get this story all twisted up let me pick a starting point so you can follow.)

Background:

In the Fall of 1964 I left Saginaw, Michigan with Gerry Thomas to go to Provo, Utah and register for classes at Brigham Young University. It would be the second time I made such a trip. It was Gerry's first. Our plan was to make this trip an adventure and we did not fail. However, I will not detail the trip at this time or I would be weeks getting to the point of this story. This is just a sketch for background.

Gerry had never been west of the Mississippi. Much of our talk was directed to the mountains and what it is to experience mountains for the first time. It is a wonderful  thing to see the Rockies but not something words can do. There is just too much in it.

Do you remember the first black and white tv's? Ours was a Dumont. I don't know what the screen size was other than small. The point here before I lose it, is: it would be like trying to describe a 90" HD Flat screen to an audience that had only seen the little Dumont. (I just realized that a lot of people who will see this blog will have never seen a black and white tv, let alone a little one.)

Where was I? Oh, seeing the Rockies for the first time. Let me put it to you the way it unfolds on the road. If you are traveling East to West you enter Colorado from Nebraska the way we were traveling. Nebraska is flat, pool table flat. So is Colorado when you cross the border. As you continue west the horizon begins to change.

First you imagine change and see mountains off in the distance. At first it's just clouds. You're excited and your anticipation tweaks your perception. But gradually, if you are patient, the mountains begin to show and if you are lucky they have been dusted with a little snow just to give you that post card picture you have dreamed of your whole life.

As the difference between clouds and mountains becomes clearer your excitement grows and your understanding of the vastness of the Rockies becomes clearer.

(This is going to take a little longer than I had planned, so if you are interested in why I think of early Fall in Colorado. Come on back tomorrow and I'll endeavor to complete the thought.)

Herb Ratliff, September 20, 2012, All Rights Reserved

P.S. I'm taking Charley to the vet in a couple of minutes. He has an appointment at ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: