Friday, September 28, 2012

To Faith and Fish.....and Science

Thought for the Day





There is no doubt that fly fishing has taught me a lot. Perhaps a better way to say it is: Fly fishing has put me in the sort of environs that attracts an extraordinary group of people who have taught me a great deal about life, love and the human condition.

"For a fisherman the only values are patience, tolerance and humility." These words emanate from a character in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, a movie I recently saw. There is a good deal of truth in those words.

One of the first things I noticed when I took up fly fishing was the wide diversity of people who wound up together only because of their common interest in trout, fly lines and beauty. There was certainly no equity in finances, education, social position or religion and yet there was an acceptance based on the ethics of the individual and his behavior when he held a fly rod in his hand.

I couldn't begin to tell you how good it feels to be in a large mix of such different people and be an equal. It would be nice if we could figure out how to do it on a larger scale. Not in trout streams please. We do not all need to fish in order to get along.

©Herb Ratliff, September 28, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph is an interesting one to ponder. The key is the common ground. With so many divisive forces and everyone taking sides with great passion in everything from politics to sports to religion to -- well, you name it, how do we find that common ground to bring us together? I guess for me one answer is one-on-one relationships based on mutual respect despite differences of opinion. I don't know how we address the larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Uncle Bud. I found that movie on eBay; now just waiting for extra cash to buy it. I'm anticipating it will be a great movie and am excited to watch it with my boy. Speaking of my boy, guess who is FLY FISHING FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY?! Yes, Uncle Sam took him and I couldn't tell who was more excited. I will keep you posted on their progress, if I hear from him (like generations of men before him, he's not that great at keeping the womenfolk informed while fishing).
    I also found your last paragraph interesting to ponder. I certainly agree. I'm selfish that way. Maybe it could happen in Detroit, or Chicago, or New York - or all. But not in the trout streams, please.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: