Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Charley

Thought for the Day





I have had some very introspective hours beginning last night and lasting through this morning. Charley, my dog has been in excruciating pain.

There was no accident, no physical encounter that I am aware of or able to establish by examination. There was only an increasing discomfort that prompted him to make a sound that can only be called a whimper. It occurred when he walked, sat or stood. He only was able to achieve relief by lying down. Feeling helpless is a horrible condition to endure at times like that.

This morning I called the vet and took him to be examined. My regular vet was out so I saw a substitute. That is not what you want at a time like that but there was no alternative. I waited for the Doctor for about forty five minutes. While I was waiting the office staff were trying to comfort Charley. The kindest touches elicited yelps of pain. He was clearly in agony.

When the Doctor arrived he saw Charley immediately. We were unable to put him on the examination table, he could not endure the pain of being lifted. The exam was carried out on the floor with all of us hovering over Charley, who was punctuating the otherwise silent room with bursts of whining and crying sounds as if he simply was unable to help himself.

The vet seemed perplexed. He offered anti inflammatories, pain medication and said to try those for a couple of days. He said to return for further exams on Friday. Then he gave Charley a dose of the anti inflammatory to show me the technique.

Now it's a waiting game. Charley isn't big on complaining. You'd think he'd be an expert after watching me. But, he's found a spot to rest. I'll give him some pain medication when he eats and hope he begins to feel better soon. If that doesn't happen we go back on Friday for some x-rays. Who would have thought I'd ever get so enchanted with this little mutt. I couldn't have ever dreamed I'd find such a lovable companion, especially one that loved me too.

2 comments:

  1. Prayers on the way. Keep me posted, Herb.
    Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that. I hope he feels better...what a helpless feeling for you. :(

    ReplyDelete

Comments: