Thursday, January 5, 2012

What is Love?




Is it love when I say, I love you?
Is it love when I say, I care?
Is it love when I look
 at a scruffy teddy bear?

Is love the swirling angst
 of being all alone?
Is love the word, goodbye, 
when it cuts you to the bone?

Is love the tear that jewels your cheek
 in morning's early hue
When the night you spent alone
 left your pillow wet with dew?

Is love a sometime thing
That comes and goes each day?
Or, is love an endless current
Urging flow without dismay?

Is love a two way thing
That seeks a balanced set?
Or, can love go on and on
Never needing to be met?

Is balance, inequality or 
harmony a ghost?
Is love the thing you get
When you get what you want most?

Is love one thing that
Does not change or changes all the time?
Is it mine or yours or theirs or ours
If the seasons set in rhyme?

When does love become a dust ball?
When do stars begin to glow?
When does heavy, humid air
Catch a cold and turn to snow?

I don't know what heaven's angels
Have in store for you and me.
I don't know why all God's creature's
Build a nest or climb a tree.

All I know is that He's watching,
Sometimes laughing, sometimes not
And that what we do will show us
What will happen, what will not.

©Herb Ratliff, January 5, 2011, All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I suppose I have experienced love's dustball state rolled up into a gigantic star glow, and the miracle of unexpected love that overwhelms me in joyous passion. Love is most illusive when I purposefully long for it to make a magical appearance. The magic is always there waiting. I merely need to allow it to appear. Yep, It shall be shown to us all, if we just allow it. Thanks for the reminder, Hawk.
    Tana

    ReplyDelete

Comments: