Saturday, December 3, 2011

Willingness to Share Your Bounty



I know you are the kind of person who is more than willing to share whatever bounty you have with those less fortunate than you. I really believe that most humans are that way at the very center of their soul. It just doesn't make any sense to be selfish. We are all likely to have a jelly side down day, month or year sometime, so it just makes sense to be thoughtful to those around us when it’s their turn.

One of the other really nice aspects of humans is their willingness to share by teaching others how to do things and it happens at all levels. Hang around a kitchen during the holidays and there will be ample instruction on how to fix: the turkey, the potatoes – sweet and white, rolls, cranberry sauce, even the green bean casserole. Go to a PTA meeting and there will be many who will offer suggestions about book selection, curriculum, teachers, class size and who should be the administrators and what they should do and even on occasion where they should go. Go play a round of golf and you can readily get instructions from almost everyone there at no charge and from people who actually cannot demonstrate by their own practice any of the suggestions they offer. It’s amazing.

People also are generous with their wealth. It seems sometimes like the people with the least wealth are the most willing to share but, the wealthy are very generous too. Now when it comes to time, the conditions change a bit. But, that’s another topic, isn't it?

People are very generous with advice too. I cannot tell you how freely my friends and relatives have been with advice for me. It is sometimes just overwhelming. Actually, I’m rather fond of something my mother told me when I was a young lad full of wisdom. She said, “Be careful about the advice you give, someday someone may take it.”

All of this is leading up to something I was thinking about last night. You knew that was coming, right? Anyway, here is what I was considering: If you were given an opportunity to tell someone about the world we live in what things they absolutely must do while here for a day. What would you say? Here are the parameters: You only have one 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper to write it on and they have no prior knowledge of this earth or anything in it. Fortunately, they speak and understand English.

I’d love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will answer this question, too, Herb. It's a hard one. I think I would show our visitors the amazing sights in the State of Utah. Beginning with Bryce Canyon in the south, driving north on stunning Hwy 12 to Capitol Reef. Then north to the forested snowy (it is winter) mountains, west to the Great Salt Lake and the fascinating birds in the surrounding wetlands, and then on to the Salt Flats where it is so flat you can see the curvature of the earth. We would end the day at my house with a superb glass of cabernet sauvignon and watch the sun set over Antelope Island and the Great Salt Lake. Of couse, in reality we couldn't cover all those miles in one day, but this is a fantasy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: