Monday, December 26, 2011

The Morning After





It always seems so quiet after Christmas day. That's a good thing. In the hurry and scurry of anticipation, preparation and perspiration there tends to be a lot of noise. A lot of people seem to enjoy noise and I can see why. Noise is a natural result of amassing a large group of people, people like to talk, laugh and even screech, scream and snort. It's hard to do that quietly.

Children are gifted producers of noise. It might even be said that they are experts at the production of noise. Very little of it seems directed at anyone in particular, it's just raw expression and there is a lot of it. I like being a part of that setting for a while but my while is shortening more and more every year.

Yesterday I kept thinking to myself, cacophony. Now where does that come from? I like a party as much as the next guy. Anyway, I hope you had a great celebration with your friends and family. I hope you had plenty of noise, quiet or both.

And I hope you didn't overspend. There will be even more temptation for that now. The merchant community will have a bunch of offers you can't refuse when they look over their overstocked store rooms. Use restraint and spend wisely. It's only a few short weeks before we can do all this again.


 Herb Ratliff, December 26, 2011, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: