Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Up on the Housetop

Up on the Housetop


I went to my grandson’s concert last night; he, Joshua Kingsley’s in the eighth grade. Thirteen, do you remember? Wow. There were several groups of musicians showing off their new skills, sixth, seventh and eighth graders. They did such a good job. I was great fun. The finale was a little horse-play entertainment around the reading of “T’was the Night Before Christmas”.  I’m a big fan of band experiences for kids. It’s one of the finest places for building character, cooperating, showing off, and experiencing the power of being better by joining together with others who share your same point of view.
The music was traditional and predictable except for a very nice version of “Il est ne, Le Divine Enfant”, He is born, the Divine Child. But what I enjoyed most were the traditional songs. One that resonated with me last night was “Up on the Housetop”. I swear I could hear my mother and dad and sisters singing it.  I particularly remember the phrase, “First comes the stocking of Little Nell , Oh, dear Santa, fill it well.” My mother had a sister whose name was Nell and I thought they were talking about her and I wondered how she got to be in a Christmas song. There is a lot of magic in the air this time of year if you are open to it.
There is a lot of difficulty in the world these days, serious difficulty. There is a woeful lack of leadership in this country. There is a staggering focus on filling our own stockings and a lot of anger with the scams and greed that show up day after day. But, there is beauty too. There is charitable giving at record levels and as American as apple pie hope that still gets us from one day to the next.


This is a picture of George and Mary from a stage production of "It's a Wonderful Life". That's my daughter, Dora Watson, who portrayed Mary. Isn't she adorable? No pun intended.

When the days dwindle down to a precious few
and chestnuts roast on and open fire.
When the sleigh of St Nick is covered with dew
and music is sung by a heavenly choir.

When children are nestled all snug in their bed
and fires are doused for Santa's arrival.
When  visions of sugar plums dance in your head
And all disagreement is naught but a trifle.

It must be Christmas, I'll tell you right now,
Let your eyes lift to heaven let joy take a bow.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Be joyful if you can
Happy will be OK
Thankful isn't bad either
If you are still having trouble
Try a little gratitude
To put you in the mood
If you've been misunderstood'


Herb Ratliff, Decmber 13, 2011, All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I love the school Christmas concerts. They always make me teary-eyed, I don't know why. I remember being so impressed with the band and choral concert my kids were in. What great teachers they had and what memorable experiences for the kids, too.

    I will try to be open to the magic, Herb.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: