Friday, December 30, 2011

Friday Fun







I thought to write a letter
Not knowing where or whom
Should receive such an epistle
Of darkness or of gloom.

Should stately enterprise resist
A penchant to deny
That all I ever really want
Is to gaze into the sky.

To sit transfixed and stare
At nature's lovely things
And wait with hopeful patience
For things that soar and sing.

The things I love do nothing
Or so to some it seems 
That writers who are fruitful
Must fill up many reams

Of paper loaded up with ink
And deeply rooted thoughts
That energize the mirth or dearth
Where each of us is caught.

My heart could give a lesson
My head could offer naught,
My love is found in things
That are ambivalent to plot.

This exercise was useful
To open  up the zest
That's found among the poems
Of our old friend, Edgar Guest.


Herb Ratliff, December 30, 2011, All Rights Reserved







1 comment:

  1. Delightful verse! I love the line "My love is found in things that are ambivalent to plot." I relate to this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: