Friday, October 5, 2012

Words I found on a scrap of paper in my pocket.

Thought for the Day







It had been in the pocket of an old suit I couldn’t wear anymore and had pretty much forgotten about it. You could tell with a quick glance it was not what was trending in men’s clothing today. It was a traditional style that would never be old to me. I tend to stay with clothing that doesn’t get caught in traffic. It is meant to be the standard by which everything new is measured.

 I had gone to a wedding. While sitting and waiting for the nuptials to begin I thought of how beautiful weddings are. How beautiful the brides and handsome the grooms are and how unprepared they are for what’s about to become a new life style for them. And then I thought about Boy Scouts. I loved scouting. I learned so much about life from scouting. And that takes me back to the paper in the pocket of that old suit.

The paper was obviously torn from another piece of paper as it had printing on one side and by my hand on the other were these words: A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. It was the Scout Law. I had memorized it in the sixth grade when I joined the scouts. No, the suit wasn’t that old.

I remember now why I wrote it down, The Scout Law. I wrote it down because I thought the only promise that needs to be kept in a marriage or any other relationship is to treat each other with the same respect that is promised in the Scout Law.

Confucius said, the essence of knowledge is having it, to apply it; not having it, to confess your ignorance.


©Herb Ratliff, October 5, 2012, All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I was a Girl Scout

    The Girl Scout Promise

    On my honor, I will try:
    To serve God and my country,
    To help people at all times,
    And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

    The Girl Scout Law

    I will do my best to be
    honest and fair,
    friendly and helpful,
    considerate and caring,
    courageous and strong, and
    responsible for what I say and do,
    and to
    respect myself and others,
    respect authority,
    use resources wisely,
    make the world a better place, and
    be a sister to every Girl Scout.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a scout, but was impressed with the scout oath. Some worthy goals, for sure. A person who could do all that would be pretty close to perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: