Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Nights at the Pump - Chapter 6 Evidence



Chapter 6




Early Sunday morning I got out of bed and went downstairs as quietly as I could. My dad worked late on Saturday. Sunday mornings were his time to sleep in. Everyone knew that disturbing dad on a Sunday morning could ruin their day.

The sun was still below the horizon but there wasn’t much time before daylight.  I had no time to waste. I went to the back door and outside. There was a chill in the air and I only had on a tee shirt. I had goose bumps before I even started. I took the alley between the houses to the side road. I looked over the whole neighborhood to be sure there was no movement or activity around the big blue house.

I had to cross the street which put me in the open briefly, and then I stayed near the edge of the houses until I got to the church. I could see where the power company, at least I thought it was, had been from the trampled grass. There were also insulation clippings from wire that littered the ground. Why the new wire? Then I saw some new very fine wire had been installed on the outside of the house but it wasn’t electrical wire. It was for an antenna.

I followed the antenna wire around the house and saw it attached on the back side. It ran all the way up to the roof. I know it hadn’t been there before. That must be what was being done last night, but why? A noise like a chair being slid out from under a table on a wood floor broke the morning silence. Was someone in the church?

I looked around the yard again and moved closer to the house by the lilac bushes. I heard a crackling sound like a radio searching for a clear station signal. What was going on here?

The house went suddenly quiet. Then I heard a door slam. I hunched closer to the house and stood very still. I was shaking. I don’t know if it was from the cold or just being afraid of being seen, maybe both. Then, I saw him. He was still wearing a black suit, shoes and hat. He was still six feet, four inches tall and he was still peering around looking to see who was watching.

But, he didn’t see me.
As soon as he was out of sight I made a bee line for home.

When I walked in the back door mother was making pancakes and sausage. It sure smelled good. I could have eaten a horse. She asked me where I had been. I told her just walking and went back to my room.

It was Sunday morning. Church would be the first order of business, then, we would come back home and have our Sunday dinner. It was my favorite day of the week and the only one we all ate together. But, I still had the problem of skipping church tonight so we could look inside to see the congregation.

That would have to wait. Right now I was ready for some sausage and pancakes. What a day! It was only 7:00AM and I had already begun the adventure.

Herb Ratliff. October 30, 2012, All Rights Reserved 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: