Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Historical Thanksgiving







Almost every piece of "historical information" about the creation of Thanksgiving that I was taught turns out to be creative writing, propaganda or tripe depending on your choice of attitudes. I like the Plymouth, Pilgrim and Indians sharing food and culture story. I like the religious freedom story too. It provides us with a good foundation for feeling chosen, special and better than the rest of the world. Don't get me wrong I love being here. I feel like living in America is a gift, a pearl of great price. That doesn't mean accurate information about the founding, growth and development of America isn't important. It reminds me a bit of the way a Black Friday ad, leaves out vital information about the quantity of LED TV's for $1.50, or HMO's that put caveats in their policy's about the fact that you are not covered out of network, which means anywhere but five square blocks from where you live or Congress passing a bill that provides for healthcare but only on Friday's between 2:00PM and 2:15PM.
We must love to be lied to. Who understands their insurances, how about your mortgage? Did you read and understand your mortgage agreement at the closing and insist that every statement you didn't understand be explained to you in plain English? No? Neither did I. Can you feature Bernie Madoff explaining his investment program in fine, understandable terms to his patsies?
Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving. It's a time to remember how fortunate we are and to share our bounty with others less fortunate. At least that's what I was taught. It was not my intent to "rain on your parade". Well, you know what, maybe it was.


Wednesday, November 23, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: