Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Comfort Food

Thought For The Day





Yesterday afternoon as I was returning from my daily walk with Charley, my neighbor, Tina, hailed me. 

"Would you like some blueberry pie." She asked.

Now I ask you, who in their right mind would say no to a question like that? So, trying to sound casual, I accepted her kind offer of blueberry pie. (My mouth is watering just thinking about it.) I thanked her for her generosity and started home when she said:
"Do you like Cabbage Rolls?"

"I couldn't say", I replied, "I've never had them."

She looked astonished and queried, "Would you like to try some? Mike's mother fixed us dinner without telling me and I had already made the cabbage rolls." 

I'm a bachelor, living with my faithful canine companion, Charley. Charley and I have never entertained a negative response to questions involving free food prepared by experienced cooks. So, what could I do but reply in the affirmative. I wouldn't want to hurt my lovely neighbor's feeling, would I? Besides, I could smell the food and it was dinner time and I was hungry. (Darn, I'm drooling again.)

"Certainly, I'd love to try them." I said.

There are few thing that send the flag up for gratitude like a home made dinner. It's one of those things that never loses it's delight. And to get that meal from a neighbor is like icing on the cake, isn't it? Having a neighbor share their bounty with you is a bit like an unscheduled Thanksgiving.  Because, in fact, that's just what it is, a chance to be thankful for random acts of kindness, sharing, hot food and my good fortune for being in the right place at the right time. So really, if it hadn't been for Charley none of that would have happened.

 Thanks,Tina and thanks, Charley . The Cabbage Rolls and Blueberry Pie were great.

©Herb Ratliff, February 7, 2012, All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Charley "The Best Dog in the World" certainly takes good care of you!
    Cabbage rolls and blueberry pie are gifts from the universe :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments: