Friday, February 3, 2012

She loved jonquils

Thought For The Day





She loved jonquils and red bud,

from her childhood in the south I suppose.

I loved telling her they were here and 

inviting her to come and see them.


She didn't like to travel anymore,

things unfamiliar confused her.

But her smile lit the room in Spring,

It was her time: the promise it held,

the coming color, pageantry, and sounds.


So when the brave and impatient jonquils

rush to show off their joy in February

I think of her, the jonquils and her smile.

Wouldn't you?

©Herb Ratliff, February 3, 2011, All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Nice thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that as well as the picture. I miss talking to her always laugheed alot when we talked & it never failed to brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her image is kind, like yours. Soak up this promise of spring and renewal, even though this winter has not been harsh, I anticipate the vigor of spring. Aren't jonquils tenaciously beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: