Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Yuletide Turbulence




That's the magnificent seven three years ago.


Monday and Tuesday evening I heard three of my grandsons perform in concerts with their school bands. The music was remarkable. Two of the boys, Zachary and Logan are in the seventh grade. They play in the same band. The music was outstanding. The skill level of the participants is far superior to band members of my era and the music selections were well designed to showcase their talent. They played on Monday.

Tuesday evening two more grandsons had concerts. Kirkland, who is in High School, had a concert I missed because of a lack of communication and a conflict. He played at the same time Joshua played. I only heard of Kirkland’s concert the night before and had already committed to attending Joshua’s concert. It takes some planning to work out a schedule and in the rush, information about dates, which is critical to a plan never reached me in time to make a more inclusive plan.

I went to Joshua’s concert. It was outstanding. He attends a Magnet School and has a concert band that is performing at a near professional level. The quality of the performance was so much better than I expected, I was overwhelmed.

That accounts for four of seven grandsons who live in the immediate environs. Lindsay, my daughter and mother to five of them spurted out something about more activities Monday night, but it was lost in the noise and confusion of the aftermath of the concert. So I still don’t know what or when the other three do their performances.

I have three more grandchildren in Seattle that are not in the scurry because of logistics. My eldest child, Dora is their mother and she is currently starring as, Mary in a stage production of “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

My son lives in Midway, Kentucky, near Lexington. His children, Xander and Zoe’s activities are unknown to me and they are inaccessible as well logistically. So there you have it, the tale of twelve grandchildren in various states of communication, confusion and comedy.

We are less than two weeks away from Christmas. Let’s not forget that so much of what we do in preparation for the holidays is for our family. In our haste sometimes we run over the top of them getting it done. Slow down and enjoy those beautiful people and enjoy the beautiful person you are too.

©Herb Ratliff, December 12, 2012, All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Oh look at that great bunch of kids. Wow, so many boys! Aren't grandkids great? I haven't had the logistical problems since my own kids were in school. But I remember the remarkable quality band and choral programs my kids participated in, too. I'm such a softie, I can't watch these school performances without getting teary.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: