Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Kith and Kin





I love my children as much as I am capable of loving. I have watched them from the time they were born to the time they became parents and began to feel a love for someone else the way I did when they were born. Being a parent is a gift as well as a responsibility. Nothing can lift you or take you to your knees faster than a child. I wouldn't trade that privilege for anything.

Yesterday I had an attack of parental pride and thanks that surprised me. It just seemed like all at once I missed them the same way I did the first time they went away for a couple of days. Having them out of reach was a consummate thought; just being able to feel them in the same space would have made me feel complete.

As I went through those thoughts and feelings I knew that my parents felt that way about me at some point. I knew that when they did I had no idea what they were feeling. I also knew that I when they were missing me, I was laying the groundwork for me to miss my own in a few years.  My focus was on my family and my children. That is where it belonged.

There is no perfect way to manage the relationships we have with our families. Some families seem like they have it down to a fine science. Some seem happy and delightful all of the time. I think sometimes all of that supposed happiness others have is a wish that I have and not a reality. Even so, there is nothing quite as joyous as being with kith and kin during this magical time of the year.

I have four children: Dora, Bud, Julie and Lindsay. I have twelve grandchildren: Corey, Nick, Lindsay, Kirkland, Skylar, Logan, Keaton, Brayden, Joshua, Zachary, Xander and Zoe, ten boys and two sweet girls. Now that is a bunch and they are all beautiful, handsome, intelligent, clever, talented and a part of me. I love them all. I won’t see all of them during this holiday season but I will feel the joy of knowing them and the time I have spent with them. I can also say that for my parents and siblings. I know you can too.

Merry Christmas everyone.

©Herb Ratliff, December 19, 2012, All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. You have one of those families others can only wish for. Congratulations on raising such good kids. Enjoy the holidays with those who are near.

    Do you ever Skype with the ones who are far away? I plan to try that myself one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: