Thursday, November 1, 2012

For What It's Worth



It was one year ago today that I started my blog. My objective was to write something every day Monday through Friday. I did not accomplish that goal.

What I did accomplish was 200 individual offerings that were published to the blog site. Some were poems, some were clippings from other writers, singers or philosophers but most were from me and thoughts that rattle around in my head. I hope one or two reached you in some way that was useful. I had a wonderful time.

I also wrote 14 pieces that were relegated to the unpublished section. They need more work, actually I wrote a lot more than 14. Those are the ones I kept for further development. I wrote another 35 that were too personal for a blog. Things that fall into the family history file.

I read a book while I was writing by Stephen King, On Writing. It's a fabulous book and if writing is something you'd like to try I strongly recommend you read it. I found it charming, interesting and very informative. It would do me a lot more good if I would actually use the suggestions he offered like waiting a significant amount of time before publishing what I write. That just doesn't work for a blog with a self imposed deadline.

I heard from far fewer people than I hoped I would. But, I heard from some people I never expected to. You just cannot plan kismet.

I was often surprised by the response to what I wrote. I knew what I felt about my offerings but the impact of some of the pieces, frankly, surprised me. The absence of interest in some of the pieces surprised me too. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, eh?

I don't know what I will do from here on out. I need to think it over. I like writing, I like to be read and I like having a forum for discussion. If either of you who read this have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Herb Ratliff, November 1, 2012, All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. Herb, your year of writing has been fun and interesting for me, too. I've learned a lot about you through your stories of your life. I think it's a valuable pursuit to continue writing these stories and perhaps compiling them in some format to give to your kids and grandkids.

    I hope you continue writing either here or in other forums and even for yourself. In fact, maybe mostly for yourself. Maybe it's a little like my own piano playing--I play almost every day with no thought for performing for others. It just gives me satisfaction and comfort to do it for myself.

    We've talked a little about fiction writing, and it would be an interesting avenue for you to follow. Your own stories have been told with humor, surprise, passion, and compassion. I'd like to see how this works into stories you imagine.

    At any rate, job well done. I so agree on the "On Writing" advice, as you know. Keep writing. I think there's a lot more of that in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, then, I guess I am the other "either" you mentioned. While you may not have met your M-F goal, it doesn't sound like your contract stated you would stop after a year. As far as I'm concerned, you owe the two of us (Bekkieann and I) another 60 writings. Ha Ha!

    Seriously, I look forward to reading these. I particularly like the stories of childhood and family. Incidentally, I happened to drive by your old homestead twice during the the Nights at the Pump series. I was trying to figure out which house it was.

    Bottom line, we are out here. Write if you want to write. Share if you want to share. No pressure, but I always wondered how your Dad stepped on that nail and I may have never known were it not for this blog. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anonymous!
      60 more? I think I can do that. It's only a little over 1 a week. That seems do-able. When you come for a visit I'll tell you which house. And thank you for being a reader of the stories and poems. It feels good to have people who like stories in my life.

      Delete
  3. I do not always comment but I do read most of your blogs. I have three blogs. One, Creative Journey, is definitely for promoting my business and art, and while it does have poems they are usually poems that go with photographs or paintings I do.

    Sidetracked Charley I write really just for myself. It is a marker of where my life is going. I am thrilled when someone reads it and comments but while there seems to be a persistent few that do read it not many of them comment.

    Travels with Charley is for politics or critical issues and venting. Sometimes I do not want anyone to read that one.

    But read or not I write. I write because I cannot not write. It is a long way from here to being Stephen King. But writing keeps me sane whether I am read or not. I hope you continue to write and post where I can read even if I do not comment always.

    I guess I am not one of the either.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: