Thursday, March 1, 2012

Edward Kelly, The Real Music Man


Thought For The Day




Edward Kelly was no ordinary man. He was professionally trained as a civil engineer, but his heart was filled

with music. He is to this day the most generous man I have ever known. He was a devoted teacher and

willing to take on all comers. I became acquainted with him because he taught my sister, Jo Ann, to play the

violin. and one day after her lessons he inquired whether I might be interested in learning to do the same. I

thought I would and he began to teach me as well. The violin turned out to be an instrument that could not

hold my attention and so I eventually migrated to the baritone which had heft and volume which was much

more congruous with my personality at the time. After a fairly short teaching period he invited me to join a

small group of other boys he was teaching. There was a pianist, two coronet players, three trumpet players,

a trombonist and of course the principal player and teacher of all the instruments. He did this in his spare

time. Quite often he would provide transportation for us because most of us were one car families. Many of

the practice sessions were in his home and his wife would prepare treats for all of us after the practice. We

were preparing to go on the road. He took us to nursing homes, hospitals, women's clubs and wherever he

could find an audience to fine tune our presentation skills.

I can't remember the names of all the participants, but I remember how respectful we were of him, his

wife and his home. I remember accepting without question, the call to provide music in places where there

was very little harmony from day to day.

I remember, even then, wondering why he did this even though I can still remember the enthusiastic applause

from the wheelchaired audience.

He never received a dime for his lessons, but while he lived in a modest home and drove a modest

automobile, he had riches far greater than any other person I have ever met. And, he gave to others

without hesitation or thought of what he would receive in return.

Herb Ratliff, March 1, 2012, All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute, Herb. Yes, angels do walk among us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments: