Monday, August 6, 2012

The Y M C A

Thought For The Day



One of my great pleasures growing up was going to the YMCA. It was within walking distance from my house. There I could play basketball, swim and run on an indoor track.

The YMCA building had been around for a long time. It seemed an ancient place but that in no way diminished its attraction to me. Trips to the "Y" were limited because there was a charge for use. That charge could be paid on a per visit basis or you could purchase a membership for the year. Both methods of payment were very reasonable. It seems to me a daily pass could be had for twenty five cents. I do not remember what an annual membership cost. A daily pass was the only method within my reach at the time.

When I went to the Y it was typically on a Saturday and it was for the whole day. It was there I became acquainted with the swimming pool as an attraction. My parents were not comfortable around water and their fear of the water was clearly transmitted to me. I did not allow that fear to move into my house though, I learned how to swim at the Y. That is not really an accurate statement, "I learned not to be petrified around the water" would more honestly represent the truth. The gym was available for open basketball as well as organized league activities. My first basketball team play was there. My age at the time was between 9 and 12.

One Saturday I went alone to spend the day. I have five sisters. Getting out of the house and going to a place with more than one bathroom was adequate motivation. The pool and the gym were over the top. When I got to the front desk the attendant was talking to someone so I had to wait a bit. When he finished he looked down at me and ask what I needed. I requested the day pass. His face changed expressions. He asked if I came here often. Yes, I told him. He asked my name and opened a drawer to examine some cards. After he found what he was looking for, he looked at it carefully and then at me. I, naturally, thought I had done something wrong.

The attendant left the immediate area for a couple of minutes. When he returned he said that I had a membership. I told him I did not. A soft smile began to appear on his face and he said that I did indeed have a membership. I was flabbergasted. How could this be? I began to explain the inaccuracy in detail to him and he raised his hand and said. "It is a gift." At that moment I was convinced I was the first person in my family to be a "member" of anything. I believe I grew a foot as I stood there. I'm not sure I have ever been happier or more grateful for anything in my life. I used that membership as much as time would allow and quietly thanked that attendant for years after. But there's more to this story. I'll tell you the rest tomorrow.

©Herb Ratliff, August 6, 2012, All Rights Reserved


1 comment:

  1. Five sisters! No brothers? There must be lots of stories there. I grew up in a similar mix, so I understand that shared bathroom issue. No wondered you loved going to the Y--and what an awesome gift. I want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete

Comments: